Monday, June 6, 2011

One Week Down

It's Monday night and Charmane has been off of American soil for 9 days. I've started keeping a countdown of the major things that are happening this summer. In a few weeks, I'll use my brand spankin new passport and jet off to Aruba for a four days! I have a feeling it'll be a welcome break from the norm. Since Charmane's been gone, I've been going HAM (that's "hard as a motherf*cker" for anyone not in the know) at work, usually leaving after 7. It's nice to be productive and going home isn't my favorite right now, to be honest.

My friends have all been wonderful, calling me up and taking me out before I can even ask. I get Facebook messages from people just checking in with me. I definitely don't feel forgotten. This weekend, I sort of got in a sulky mood, but my friends pretty much strong armed me out of the house. Once I made it out to the party, they met me at the door with a bottle of alcohol and let me vent for a while.

As for Charmane, I can't speak for her, but she seems to be doing well. So far she's met a few groups of native English speakers, even some people from CT! The first few days that she was there, she hung out with the departing singer, a woman from Australia. If you know Charmane, you know she has no trouble making new friends. This weekend she hung out with another woman who showed her around to a bunch of shops and stores on Saturday. Apparently things are really effing cheap in Vietnam. 100% silk robes that go for $15 type of cheap. I'm going to go on a SICK shopping spree when I get out there! The deals are so good and things are so pretty, even Charmane is excited about shopping. That's saying a lot.

I think the key to us both getting through this is staying busy. I'm planning on finishing my book of short stories and Charmane has a few projects of her own that she plans to start. In the meantime, it's one day at a time. I let the tears fall when they want to, but I mostly smile because I know the time will fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment